Reporting to the Senior Procurement Manager, the Potted Plants Buyer, is responsible for development and execution of potted plant strategies, including supplier development, forecasting and purchasing product to meet the companies’ sales objectives while taking into account pricing, quality, delivery and continuity of supply.
• Develop with current & new suppliers potted plant programs, expand product offering and/or lower costs (weekly, seasonal, holiday);
• Negotiate supplier contracts to maximize sales;
• Coordinate the procurement and flow of potted plant products for sales team;
• Coordinate the forecasting and execution for regular needs, promotional items, special purchases;
• Maintain continuous communication with growers/farms on a regular basis in order to be aware of future opportunities;
• Communicate quality expectations and manage nonconformities with vendors;
• Perform all operational tasks related to the purchasing activities: managing costing, Pos, follow up of orders and balances, pricing, web training;
• Collaborate with inbound freight logistics to develop and improve routes and reduce transportation costs;
• Remain up-to-date of market conditions in all markets at both local and global levels;
• Analyze results of the potted plant category and make adjustments accordingly;
• Participate in meetings related to role;
• Act as back-up and replacement for other Buyers during vacation periods and other absences from the office;
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree (BAC) in Administration or related discipline, or comparable experience;
• 5+ years’ experience in purchasing and sales with specific experience in plants.
Competencies & Skills
• Strong understanding of the potted plant industry and markets;
• Excellent spoken English, French is an asset;
• Proven negotiation and problem-solving skills;
• Strong communication (oral and written) and active listening skills;
• Customer service oriented;
• Initiative and interpersonal skills;
• Ability to meet deadlines and multitask;
• Willingness and ability to work flexible hours;
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
• Advanced knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).