Under the supervision of the Operations Manager, the Junior Mechanical Engineering Technologist is responsible for designing new trailer products and making modifications to our current product line. Using creativity and technical experience, the Mechanical Engineering Technologist will prepare detailed designs, estimate costs, create bills of materials, established standards and instruction manuals and assist with the procurement of production materials.
• Prepare custom-designed drawing packages from the initial concept stage through the readiness for fabrication and assembly stage, creating clear, complete, and accurate detailed drawings from the project information;
• Ensure designs are completed on time, on budget and on scope;
• Ensure the accuracy of work by checking dimensions of parts, and materials to be used, relation of one part to another, relation of various parts to the whole structure of the project;
• Ensure new products can be produced within current manufacturing process, or, if changes to the manufacturing process are required, assist with the implementation of those changes;
• Verify all specified components are included in the bill of material, sourced and quoted;
• Prepare all manuals and assembly instructions;
• Ensure drawings and BOM released on time;
• Modifying current drawings as required;
• Provide guidance and direction to Production staff on trailer designs;
• Generate purchase orders for production materials;
• Contact suppliers to expedite deliveries and resolve shortages, missed or late deliveries;
• Monitor supplier shipments are received in ERP system as required;
• Prepare, maintain and review purchasing files and reports, updating the supplier database and related documentation as required;
• Provide support to Customer Service re: technical requirements.
• Participate in meetings as required;
• Work in compliance with company policies and procedures and Occupational Health & Safety Act;
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• 3-year college diploma in Mechanical Engineering Technology or a related program;
• 2+ years’ experience in designing and drawing manufactured products;
• Demonstrated experience using 3D design software required, preferably SolidWorks.
• Prior experience with materials and manufacturing processes
• Prior experience in the following areas an asset:
CNC punch press programming
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
• Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook);
• Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills;
• Effective organization and time management skills;
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills;
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate effectively with team members and across departments.
• Work performed in an office and shop environment;
• May be exposed to elements such as noise, temperature ;
• May be exposed to frequent material handling equipment such as forklifts, trucks and traffic;
• May require occasional overtime/weekend work to meet deadlines.