The Greenhouse Lead Hand will ensure crop activities are performed as needed to ensure plants finish on time to Westbrook specifications. Within the assigned section he/she will be coordinate product flow and climate control. He/she will work under the direction of the Plant Operations Manager and Grower to fulfill these responsibilities.
• Direct a small team of greenhouse workers to perform crop care and/or crop movement activities under the direction of the Grower;
• Applies biologicals and pesticides under the direction of the Grower;
• Operates spray booms, troubleshooting issues and performing minor maintenance activities as required;
• Operates greenhouse automation machines safely and effectively, troubleshooting issues as required;
• Performs daily cooler count of finished product;
• Runs packing line as required, including operating box making machine and label printer;
• Works in compliance with company policies/procedures and all relevant legislation and regulatory requirements;
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Minimum 3 year’s greenhouse experience or horticulture diploma/degree and 1 year greenhouse experience;
• Knowledge of greenhouse environmental control systems (preferably Argus) an asset;
• Grower Pesticide Safety Certification (or willing to obtain).
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
• Strong organization and time management skills with the ability to work independently as required;
• Good communication skills;
• Team attitude and willingness to seek guidance and collaborate to solve problems on a daily basis;
• Able to work in a professional and cooperative manner with co-workers and management;
• General knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook);
• Flexibility to work additional hours as required.
• Ability to stand 8+ hours per day;
• Ability to lift to 50 lbs occasionally;
• Ability to push 50-100 lbs frequently;
• Working in a cool/ warm, humid indoor environment with moderate noise level and around moving machinery.