The Production Lead Hand is responsible for leading a team of production workers, directly or indirectly, in the production of all manufactured goods on the shift, in a safe and timely manner, ensuring quality standards are met. The Production Lead Hand will embrace and facilitate the achievement of company goals of ZERO ACCIDENTS, ZERO DEFECTS & ZERO BACK ORDERS.
• Lead a team of production workers in a welding, forming, fabricating and assembling production facility;
• Operate directly or oversee indirectly metal shaping machines such as brakes, shears and other metal straightening and bending machines as required;
• Support requirements of quality control specifications and documentation as well as perform spot checks and visual inspections on product quality, first offs and audits;
• Monitor shift KPIs and metrics to measure effectiveness of safety, quality, delivery and efficiency;
• Take responsibility for the completion and submission of the shift’s completed work orders daily;
• Read and interpret manufacturing drawings, set up instructions, work orders and production documentation and schedules;
• Assist in machine set ups as required;
• Ensure all material handling functions are performed for efficient production;
• Ensure team members comply with all company and legislated safety requirements, including wearing required PPE;
• Ensure the facility is maintained as required for the shift in a safe and efficient manner (all utilities, grounds, mechanical systems etc.);
• Work closely with all departments to identify process and quality issues and implement corrective actions;
• Follow requirements for the efficient use of materials, labour and equipment;
• Support safety improvements and monthly inspections as required;
• Monitor inventories of raw materials and finished products as required;
• Effectively uphold company workplace rules, policies and procedures and facilitate conflict resolution as required and supported by Human Resources;
• Report to HR daily any attendance or performance related issues of team members;
• Train other team members as required;
• Support improvement projects for production, tools and equipment;
• Work in compliance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act for Industrial Establishments and follow company safety rules;
• Perform other duties as required in a flexible collaborative environment.
• 3-5 years’ production experience in a metal manufacturing industrial environment;
• 2 years’ leadership in a production environment or equivalent experience;
• Completion of secondary school or GED equivalent;
• Completion of trade education or post-secondary industry-related courses an asset;
• Demonstrated knowledge/experience in the following areas considered an asset:
Able to read blueprints, diagrams and production instruction documentation;
Fabrication, welding, forming, cutting and assembly equipment;
Machine operation and set up.
• Able to demonstrate effective written and spoken communication skills in English
• Valid forklift certification or ability to obtain a forklift license.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities and deliverables on an ongoing basis
• Well organized and able to work independently
• Flexible, open attitude and willingness to share opinions and expertise to solve problems
• Professional and cooperative manner with coworkers and management
• Works in shop environment and will be exposed to elements such as noise/temperature/heights and working in confined/awkward positions;
• Will require some lifting and operation of hand tools;
• Will frequently be exposed to moving equipment such as forklifts and material handling equipment;. May require overtime and weekend work occasionally to meet deadlines. May require shift work.